1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mower won't shut off please help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Watkinslawnservice, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a used 32" toro WB at an auction. This mower starts and runs great but it won't shut off. The key switch seems to do nothing and in fact I can pull the wires off of the switch while it is running and it has no effect. I cant figure out how it can be completing the circuit with both of the wires pulled off.

Thanks for the input
    Dave :waving:
  2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

should i assume its a recoil start ,even with the wires pulled out it would run ,its the key when turned to the off position that would ground the wires and turn the machine off , start the mower up and touch the wires together it should stop ,if it does you need a new switch
  3. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah its a recoil start and Thanks Traman I never thought of that. I will give it a try. I figured it must be the switch somehow but I was perplexed that it would still run with the wires off the switch.

Thanks again,