Mower wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cbwidow1, Jul 12, 2004.

1. cbwidow1

cbwidow1 LawnSite Member

I have a mower that I let sit all winter with gas in it and I tried to mow with it this summer but it is idleing up and down.If I try to mow with it, the engine will go fast then almost stall. I was told it could be bad gas. So I ran the engine out of gas - Now it wont start at all. A friend told me it could be the float sticking.Can you help me.
  2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Can we get some more information, so that someone can attempt to help you. Give what you can for specifics on the mower, the engine, what you have attempted to fix and the results. Homeowner mower or commercial. Any and all information would be helpful.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Your carburator has varnished , remove the carburator, take apart and clean with solvent.
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I second that.
  5. Redneck'n

Redneck'n LawnSite Member

i third that...
  6. mowermedic

mowermedic LawnSite Member

Don't waste your time cleaning the carb,
    replace it.

Standard practice by mower shops and
    backyard mechanics is to clean carbs.

Fact is once gummed up they never will
    run properly and are just another trip to
    the mower shop waiting to happen.

It's a waste of time to attempt to clean it.

Carb probably isn't more than $45-$60

If you don't know the part number
    most can be found online by doing a
    search within Google.

Briggs and Stratton have pdf files on
    all their engines available for viewing and
    download on their website.

Hope this helps.
  7. Redneck'n

the price would depend on the engine..and the carb...
    i can only think of a few carbs that are that cheap..
    most are retail 60-160...
  8. JamesGarfield

JamesGarfield LawnSite Member

A replacement carb for my walk behind with the 4HP Briggs Quattro engine was only $18.00. Really. There's no overhaul kit available for it, according to all the places I checked. It's the all-plastic 'Pulsa-Jet' (if memory serves) carb, with no adjustment screws for mixtures. Apparently they don't want ya to rebuild it, just replace it. Mine went for 7 years of pretty heavy use before it wore out and kept running too rich. Popped a new OEM unit on there, pulled the rope, and wow it was like a new machine.

I would have overhauled it if there were a kit available. But for 18 bucks and 10 minutes with the wrench, it was a no-brainer.
  9. Redneck'n

yes.. the pulsa-jet.. haha.. i forgot about those.. funny that i did.. i have a new one the box out in the shop.. its been sitting there for about 4 briggs quattro has the carb that is made onto the tank.. i have cleaned it a few times and it still works.. my brother had this thing where he liked to put gas in whatever was handy when he needed gas...that is a good little engine.. i've had mine for about 8-9 sits on a little craftsman 20" walkbehind...that little mower is a beater.. but it takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n.. i like it..

as for carb prices.. i replaced a kohler 18 magnum last month for a guy.. no kit for it.. so i had to replace it.. that sucker was like 118 or so...