Mower won't Start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Jan 9, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I went today to try and start my mower up. I had taken the battery out be for I stored it. I put fuel stablizer in it also and ran it for about 20 min. This was the first time I have tried to start it in about 2 months. When I try and start it, it sounds like it wants to start but it just won't go. It back fired a couple of time also. What should I do to get it going?

2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Thoroughly check to make sure no water got in the tank. Check your fuel filter, even bypass if necessary to see if its bad, check the plug and put fresh fuel in. If this doesnt do the trick (the simple stuff) then you are gonna need to take the carb off and get rid of the scum!! Just because you added stabilizer and let it run for 20 minutes if it wasnt mixed thoroughly with the fuel it can still gum up in small parts like the ports in the carb or fuel filters. Even though its only been 2 months its possible. Give it a shot, hpe this helps, good luck.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Was the tank full of gas? If not, you can get moisture in it. I went out and started my old Chopper with over 3200 hours on it after sitting over a month and it has no stabilizer in it, but it's full of gas. It fired right up. The key is to fill the tank to the brim so no moisture accumulates on the inside of the tank.

If it is firing, it has spark, it either has moisture or you need to choke it or prime it. Let us know more about it.

4. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

No the tank was only half full. I tried starting it with my choke on.

5. Eric ELM

Oh, pull the choke out until it fires up and then push it in. And fill up that tank with gas to prevent future water problems.

6. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Sorry, I tried it both ways with it on and off.

7. Eric ELM

Pull the spark plug out and see if it's wet with gas. If it is, it's flooded, if it's dry it needs more choking or needs to be primed.
    What kind of mower is this?

8. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

It's a walker. 16hp if that makes any difference.

9. Eric ELM

I was just wondering what size it it, did you try taking out a spark plug yet? Do you have AOL Chat? We could do better on a chat of some sort. Let me know if you have any sort of chat capabilities.

If the spark plug is wet, it's getting gas and is flooded. Let me know.

10. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

No i don't have any chat capabilities and I didn't take out the spark plug. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know what I find. Thanks for your help.