Mower won't track straight.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CosmicCharley, Jun 15, 2008.

1. CosmicCharley

CosmicCharley LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I have an '02 52" Hydro Scag & it won't track straight.

I continually have to mess with the black plastic knobs that adjust the tracking on the right & left side. I have noticed that on newer Scag models that there is just a nut instead of the black knobs.

I am alone in experiencing this?....It just seems that the knobs vibrate too much from the mower & mess with the tracking.

Should I just take em' off & replace the knobs with locking nuts?

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've got an older hydro 48 that won't track right at higher speeds. I bought it used and have been waiting to try and fix it. It looks complicated but, works for now. I like my Lesco with individual controls. Tony

3. CosmicCharley

CosmicCharley LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Mine is the exact oppisite....(which is probably better for me anyway)....it won't track at slower speeds. I am on a velke anway, but some of my accounts I can't use it. so I walk em'. It pulls side to side really bad.

I guess I am gonna have to get it looked at.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Those black knobs are not the only adjustment....the rods down from the handles can be rotated in their nut to get more adjustment. But if it is changing I would look to see if the set screw in the tracking arm is tight. The set screw is on the underside and hard to see. The tracking should not be drifting around andthose knobs don't trun eaisly.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

try checking the tire pressure and increase the pressure in the side that it tracks to i my WB tires are supposed to be set at 14 PSI hopefully that helps