Mower won't turn off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BigF350, Dec 26, 2006.

1. BigF350

BigF350 LawnSite Member

For a start - Hi to all you other green-thumbs out there :waving: - quite the plethora of information you have here... especially for an Aussie "noob".
    I apologise if this has been asked many a time before, I searched, but to no avail unfortunately.

Anyhow, as part of my garden artillery, I have a Rover EasyStart Xtra (I don't think you get them stateside) for smaller blocks, and for tidying up where my Husky PR 18 doesn't get too.

It has a Briggs and Stratton Quattro 40 engine
    Pretty much this one:
    http://briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=100180

Anyhow, the sucker just won't turn off, even with me holding the throttle closed. The only way I can get it to turn off, is pull the spark plug lead off (and get a nice zap in the process), or kill the throttle as much as I can, and then flood it using the "primer".

I suspect it is an issue with the carby - but how to fix? (especially for those not so mechanically inclined :) )

Thanks in advance!!!

2. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I cannot answer your question but I wanted to say welcome to Lawnsite!!:)

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

does it have a choke? close the choke and it will usually cut out

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, if it won't die when you release the handle, then you've obviously not got the kill wire from the coil connected or the contact point is bent out of shape and not making contact to ground it out. Carefully pull the cover and check to see if the kill wire has come off the coil or off in the back (should be under a small cover) . You'll probably need to replace the brake arm also as the pas is likely pretty worn down from running on the flywheel while the engine is still running.

Of course, maybe you guys do not have all these safety features down there, so at that point... consult a local repair shop.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I remember an older mower with the kill wire coming up the mower handle to a small handle you pulled to ground the kill wire. It got rusty and the motor would not stop, but it was just a matter of using some emery cloth to take the rust off so the little handle would ground the kill wire. Hope yours has a fix that easy.

6. BigF350

BigF350 LawnSite Member

First thanks for the welcome, and all the help thusfar!!!
    No - no choke at all.
    It only has a manual pump to prime the carb on starting.
    Safety features[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So no kill wire.

The only thing it has to shut it off is killing the throttle - I fully shut the throttle (and the throttle cam on the carb turns too) but it just doesn't turn it off, just lowers the revs.

Thanks again for your help - keep all the suggestions coming.

7. LESCO...MECH

LESCO...MECH LawnSite Member

There must be a grounding wire coming from the coil ? 1st find that touch it to the frame or engine block when its running should kill it. Or take it to a shop LOL Good luck

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well then, isn't there a screw and a little clamp that holds the cable on down by the carb? Take the screw and clamp out and then start up the engine and try pulling the throttle back to stop and see if it kills it then. If it does, your cable clamp location needs adjusting.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Model and Type numbers off your engine would tell us exactly what kill/Safety system you have !

10. GotGreen

GotGreen LawnSite Member
    from STL

I was having that problem with one of my mowers. In my case the safety wire from the left pistol grip was coming in contact with the ignition switch, I found out by trying to kill the mower with the wire rubbing the switch and then with out touching the switch, after rerouting that wire the problem went away.