mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerKing10, Dec 13, 2006.

1. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about buying a new mower , What mower does best in tall thick wet grass?

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

your going to really start a war with this one. IMO ive never seen a mower cut through tall wet grass without having to double cut. My lescos do amazing through tall, wet grass... but to make it look good it takes another pass or two.

3. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, I want a car. Has to have a motor.. Which is the best? lol Point: Need to be way more specific.

4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

one with blades and a big motor.:laugh:

5. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

It's not really one mower brand over another but more -

Deck volume and capacity for creating a vacuum (ie. if you under deck is packed with grass it will reduce the capacity to move the clippings). This also includes setting the deck height so you're not bogging the deck with massive amounts of grass.

Choosing the right HP motor for the setup. Meaning on the same mower a 14hp single cyl will not perform as well as a 19hp twin in the wet stuff.

Right blades for the job. A high lift will move the wet stuff better than the stock blade.

Belt tension - if you are slipping then the blades have less tip speed and again you are not moving the wet stuff.

Mowing speed - if you are moving too fast in really tall wet grass then any mower will unerperform. Slower speed is better. May not be as productive but it might end up like...slow cut once or fast cut twice....you decide.

I think I'll stop there....

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

bobcat gets it right. It's more about the mower setup, and how it's equipped, than the mower itself.

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Same with my Toros.