mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Robert S, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

whats a good mower for residentual and small commercial jobs.im trying to make a start up list any help would be great:usflag:

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

whatever you can afford.we use bobcats.

3. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

use pushers and w/b to start up, i use Toro. wouldnt use anything else.

4. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

what size would be a good choice for mostly residentual and maybe some commercial

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

why don't you do a search,this has been discussed at length many times before.

6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Start off with a commerical walk behind mower there cheaper then a ZTR. I would buy commercial only if you going to be using it alot because they are built for heavy use

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Check out www.landscaperpro.com they have a great deal for someone who is just starting out. They have a Red Hawk 48" belt drive walkbehind, Tanaka backpack blower 64cc and a Tanaka string trimmer w/steel shaft 21cc all this for $2600.00. I don't know about everyone else but this seems like a good deal to me. My Toro 48" T-bar I just bought cost me $3200 for the mower alone. I know RedHawk mowers aren't Toro's but from what I hear they seem to be good mowers. I would think for someone who is just starting out it would give them everything they need to get started. All you would have to do is buy a little trailer or ramps for truck and your good to go.

8. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

if you have ever seen a lot of varieties of lawns whether it be large or small, how many obstacles + how difficult to overcome, the answer varies greatly. if ou aim for, say, 1/4-1/2 acre lawns with maybe 5-20 obstacles (which is around my average) you will prolly want to go with a 36" cutter. But now you must decide whether to get a floating /fixed deck, hydralic/belt or gear drive (and again that's assuming you get a walkbehind or stander, since i don't see getting a 36" or even 48" ZTR or tractor)

there's too many factors. you need to do your research and ask the specific questions that will most likely give you and anwer that will benefit you the most

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't you posted this same question several times? Buy whatever you can afford. You say you have a small budget so work with it start out with a simple 21" whether its toro, jd, murray, sears, whatever. Get your name out there, do good work, and if you get enough work then come back and ask about commercial grade equip.

10. jhsmith4

jhsmith4 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I started last year with a ZTR, 52" deck, but turn work down because I couldnt gain access. I just order a 36" W/B, hydro to handle that problem! But if I had to do it all over again, I would get a 48" Hydro W/B to start. Good Luck!

Ps. If you are looking for ZTR, I'm looking at upgrading to a 61". My is 4sale!
    478-955-8101