1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tsimmons27, Jan 4, 2009.

1. tsimmons27

tsimmons27 LawnSite Member

I am searching for a used 48 inch walk behind mower and was wondering which manufacturer you have found to be the best, such as the most reliable, longest lasting, cleanest cut, etc. Also what are some other things that I should take into consideration when choosing a mower.

Thank you for your time,
  2. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

well how big are your lawns? the first thing i look for in a mower is the strength, if it does not look like it can take a beating, then i dont want it. also the cut quality is a must. if you want something cheap but well worth ur money, id get a Great Dane Surfer. cheap, strong and a fantastic cut, just my opinion (JMO) . how much do u have to spend?
  3. tsimmons27

tsimmons27 LawnSite Member

I'm looking to spend about $1500 or so.
  4. Columbia Care

Columbia Care LawnSite Member

I would look around and see what realiable mower dealers are close to you. Reason is you will most likely rely on your local dealer to help you keep your equipment up and running. It doesn't make much sense to drive 40 to 60 miles out of your area to get a part or mower repaired (wasted time were you are not making money). When you find equipment that you like, Googgle the manufacturer and locate the dealers near you. Based on this in my area, I would stay with a Exmark, Toro, or Gravely.
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You will probably want to also take the controls on the mower into consideration. There are now so many "ergonomical" controls out there, and each on is different. Examples are the ECS controls (Exmark) and T-bar and T2 (Toro). The controls might make your hands and body less fatigued at the end of the day. That is one thing that could cause you to handle more accounts.
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

for that amount you should probably go with a used machine, not too many hours on it ... commercial equipment will cost you more than that !!

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with an Exmark walk behind, but it will all depend on what decent mowers you can find in your price range.