mower???!!!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by suprman9019er, Feb 9, 2005.

1. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

i am starting up a lawn care business this spring and i need a little help. I am only looking to get about 20 lawns- b/c of school and what not, and there only going to be like 3/4-1 acre lots. so what size mower and what type of mower would you all suggest. and i have a limited price around 2000-3000. thanks alot

2. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple thoughts here.

If your just starting out with limited funds, why go after 3/4 to 1 acre lots that require larger mowers? If I was just starting I would find town homes and 1/4 acre lots and work them with smaller equipment for a year until I saved some money. You could buy a decent 21" self propelled Honda for about 650 add a decent blower and trimmer for 500 and be able to work out of a small truck all for 1100-1200 dollars. It's perfect for part time with school. That way you would have a little cash left for emergencies. There is a good profit margin in townhomes if you don't overspend in equipment.

If you must go after 3/4 to 1 acre lots get a 36" walk behind Emark or scag or John deere. They are big enough to do one acre if you have to and small enough to use on most lawns and get through gates. You could get a decent used one for $1500, plus $750 for blower trimmer and cheap push mower. Get 2 ramps and you can work out of a full sized 1/2 ton Pickup.

-Paul

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

eXmark 32" metro. $1669.93 out the door. Great machine.

4. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

thanks alot for advice paul, but i already have a blower, trimmer, and a 21 self propelled honda(falling apart), and i am just lookin to expand my biz a little bit at the time. but i will take what you said about not goin for such big lawns. oh and i have a 2000 ford f-150. thanks alot for the advice

5. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

OK is your profile not updated or are you 14 years old and driving. Sounds good to me I was driving since about 12. If you have 20 lawns I think you should buy a 36 inch hydro that will last for the next 10 years. 20 lawns a week should pay you good enough to pay it off in couple months. Alot of dealers have financing (if parents put it in their name) for 1 year same as cash. Try a gravely dealer they usually do this. 36 inch hydro probly about 4000$ It would payoff in the long run.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We started with 3/4-1 acre lots. If I recall we started with 7-8 accounts. Grew to about 12 by the end of the year. Same thing, we ran the business "part-time". My brother was putting himself through college, I was working full-time...but I had flex hours. So my brother would start the lawns after his morning classes and I would meet him after work. Worked out okay.

We started out with a 48" hydro WB unit. Bought the sulky attachment so we could "ride" behind it. It does save some time. It was a SCAG and paid around 6000 for it. So it's a little out of range on what you are trying to spend. However, we spoke to the dealer and he arranged a no payments no interest loan for 12 months. Worked out perfect for us. Ran all summer and had enough to pay it back by the end of the summer. Like the mower so much we did the same thing in the following year. I know other mowers are a lot cheaper so look into them.

not sure if this helps any...

7. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

48in scag hydro walkbehind.

8. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

i'm thinking 32''is really too small I have a 52'' and I use it for everything. I don't get customers without gates or tight landscapes, and I have turned people down because they have that. I would rather have people with open yards. I don't feel that I ever would need something smaller that 52'' until I go full time and need the extra money . in that case i would get the w.b. mowerthat folds 48/32 (I think that are the measurements) to get through gates. TIME IS Money! good luck in your search!

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Started with a 21 and got a 36" hydro. spend the extra money and go hydro. 36 is a good starter. When I got my 52 Exmark ZTR I actually enlarged gates for customers...No charge. Good winter work and it made me more productive come spring time...Most gates are 36-48". but when you got a brand new 52 you want to use it and i did not want to have to lug around the 36 and 52 at the same time if I did not have to....if I left the 36 at home I could fit the 52 and the 48 Walker on the trailer at the same time....

if you get a 36 you'll never sell it it is a good all round machine, especiallly for tight areas..