1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cuttenup, Mar 5, 2007.

1. cuttenup

cuttenup LawnSite Member
    from NETN

Im looking to buy some Gator Blades to use this season. Does anyone know anything about these blades? If so do you prefer Gator blades or regular blades? Thanks for the help. They will be going on a Scag 52" 23 hp Kaw.
  2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search, there is alot of stuff on this!
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Well we tried them once and removed then a couple days later. They produced no vacume, left stringers and just simply didnt cut worth a poop on our thick northern lawns. Other guys in this area that we have talked to agree.
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I never tried the gator blades ,because some friends who have used them in the past said they didn't like them so I never bothered trying em out
  5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i use them in the fall to chop up leaves, i agree they dont have enough vacume to pull grass upright, but in the fall doesnt matter as much.

they do bend very easily, they dont the SOLID arch in the back that gives them stregnth
  6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I just sold a 2005 Scag Tiger Cub with 48" velocity deck, and Gator Hi-lift Blades. The mower did great with them would powder the Bermuda grass leaves not a yard full, but did not do well on our thick commercial accounts that grew quick. This was due to the "mulching deck" not the Gator blades. If your Mulching or SD, go with the Gator Hi-Lifts no matter what the application. Gators are what I have used for years, invest in a commercial grade blade sharpener also saves time, and money, plus you can get them sharper and you know they are balanced cause you do it yourself. The deck design "depth" is what give the Vacuum. We sucked a brick under the velocity deck, and the Gators powdered it, no bending. I have had no problems with Blade strength Anything has limits on abuse I hit a piece of re-bar 4' sticking out of the turf pulled it out wrapped it around the spindle, and stalled the engine we removed the bent blade and replaced it went back to mowing no spindle damage. Anything will bend
  7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

gator blades alone arent that great, but combined with a high-lift style blade under the gator blade they are unbeatable for clean-ups. i ran doubles all season IMO i got a better cut and better looking stripe out of my lesco.
  8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

they really suck in the rain! even with the doubles.
  9. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

I have used gators and in the fall mulching up leaves they are great. I am using high lift this year to see the difference because the gators dont seem to pull the grass up and cut as good as I want them to.
  10. ozark

ozark LawnSite Member

Through my experience using them i cant say anything bad about them. They are advertised to have less lift than conventional blades so dont be shocked. They do a great job in all conditions that i have ever ran them in, anywhere from dry to wet to just when the dew has set. I can run my machine wide open when the dew hits and found this to be the best time to mow. Im thinking that in order for these blades to really work well you must have the right deck set up and horsepower. I dont know what you guys are running but they work great on my jd 23 hp diesel 62 inch deck. :usflag: