mowerconsultant, P&J, gene gls! Understanding How Different Blades Function

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JLH, Aug 29, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

As I have read the replies you gave me on my previous post, I have a few more questions. I am trying to get a better understanding of how different types of blades actually function.

I have never had this explained to me, and I find it very interesting, which makes me want to try different types of blades.

1. Please explain how different heights of sail on a blade effect discharge.

2. Does the height of sail create a turbulance under deck lifting grass before it is cut or only after it is cut?

The following reply was by gene gl to my previous post. Can you please explain further?

-The Fussion blade from Oregon Corp. has a "bent" sail that is 1.100" tall and distributes the clippings more evenly throughout the discharge opening, but not as far. I prefer a "stamped" sail because it discharages toward the front of the deck opening and has more "air" volume.

3. What is the difference between a "bent" sail and a "stamped" sail? I looked at blades today from several different companies and the sail on all blades looked like the bend of the sail was a smooth curve.

4. Does the "height or the length" of the sail determine how far the clippings are discharged?

5. What is more important, discharge distance or how fine the clipping are cut?

6. Why does a taller sail create more drag against the motor.

7. Why do the scag blades have a notch cut out in front of the sail?

8. What is the accurate way to measure the length of the sail?

Any other information you can give me about how different sails function would be greatly appreciated.

The more you learn, you realize how little you know.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

#1, The longer and higher the sail is, the greator the sucksion is to create a larger volum of air flow.

#2, Before it is cut.

#3, A bent "sail" is where the metal is bent up in a even configueration to create the sail. A "stamped" sail is where there is a notch stamped out of the metal before the sail.

#4, Yes, the higth and length of the sail is a large factor in discharge. Deck configueration has a lot to do with discharge also. All blades are designed for certain types of mowers and mower decks by the mower manufacturs for general mowing conditions. Some mower brands have multiable choice blades for different mowing conditions. Such as, low,medieum and high lift. A high lift blade will also lift more sand and grit from the soil surface which will dull the blade faster and will affect the cut quality sooner.

#5, Thats a personal preferance for each of us. The faster your mowing speed is, the faster you need to remove the clippings from under the deck. There fore, the clippings will be longer. I prefer volum and distance over smaller clipping size.

#6, The bigger the sail the more resistance there is against the blade to create the air flow which in turn makes the motor work harder. You burn more gas and create a hotter engin area.

#7, I guess that Scag determined that type of blade was the best overall blade for thier mowers.

#8, I was a machinest for over 20 years so I use dial verniers. Use whatever tool you are comfortable with for reading the length as long as you measure all blades the same way.

Gene

3. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

gene gls,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.