Mowers-for part time business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green Elegance, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Green Elegance

Green Elegance LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for good Weekend Business mowers.
    I don't want to spend too much, maybe $500/ mower. I saw somebody had a Hasquvarna(not sure I spelled it correctly).

Thanks,
    -Dan

2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

a mower that cost $500 will take you longer to mow a lawn, versus a $2,000 mower. When I started 6 yrs ago I bought a 36 in walkbehind, I think it was about $2,000 after taxes, and bought it new. Still have that mower and use it all the time. I can mow a 5,000 sq ft lawn in 10-15 min and then another 10-15 trimming and blowing, and charge $30. By myself I could mow 15 yds on a saturday, and make an extra $450 minus gas. With a $500 push mower you might could mow 4 yrds??? maybe 5 I have not clue, but $450 is better than $120 and you not going to be as tired, I had a velky on my walkbehind, so doing 15 wasnt that bad. I would hate to push mow 1 yd at that. O and no I didnt have the money at the time..........I had credit. So thats how I started, probably borrowed over $10,000.

3. Green Elegance

Green Elegance LawnSite Member

Ok, I understand completely. Lets say I have $1500.00 and I only do residential lawns, just for weekend business, and all my customers have sprinklers.......is this 36 in still good for those customers who demand very tidy, and neat lines on there lawn. I guess what I am saying is that I need something versatile, yet easy to manuever, and great at cutting. I get so many people pushing Snapper and Toro, but they are very small decks.
    Any additional suggestions?

4. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

My 36" Snapper WB is versatile, easy to turn, cuts great lines and is really dependable. I love it. It's an '05, but I have another 36" that is 11 years old and is my current backup. Can't tell you how many times that one has paid for itself. Plus a 36" can fit in most fenced yards. My opinion, go with a commercial unit around 36" or so, even used is fine, and I think you'll be happy.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

almost any commercal grade mower will give a superior cut to a homeowners model, and will last longer

say at home you spent 1 hour a day mowing your lawn 30 times a year but you mow for your business 30 lawns a week that take one hour (just a hypathetical situation) you would put one years worth of use on that mower every week...(or two or three weeks).... you need a commercial mower to keep up with all the hours... look at a used commercial mower if money is a thing..

6. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

36 WB is a good starting mower..............when you start to grow then you can step up to a 48 or more, all depending on the customers you want. I use my 36 more than anything because my yds are less than 7,000 sq ft. I only use my 48 maybe 1 day a week on the yds that dont have gates.

7. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go get you a used 36'' WB. That would be the best bang for your buck right now.

8. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

A 36" Walk-behind will always save you time. When I got mine it was the best investment I ever made to my business. However, a 36" WB is supposed to be able to get through anyones gate. They don't. Some gates are just to narrow. If you have $500 I would not finance a WB. Buy a good 21" to start and buy a WB when you have the cash funds. I started with a 21" Snapper that I drove into the ground this past year. That mower cost me $470 with tax brand new and I will use it again this year. A lot of guys use the Toro but I like the drive mechanism of the Snapper. One advantage you have over the Snapper with a commercial Toro is that the Toro has a 1 gallon fuel tank which saves time filling up with gas. Take it from someone that started with limited funds. Get yourself a 21" Snapper. You will always need a 21" mower and you will be able to buy yourself a 36" WB with cash before the end of your first season.

9. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

i just sold my bunton for 500

10. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

you're right firefighter, i love my snapper. my neighbor gave it to me 8-10 years ago and it still works great. it's not the best looking mower, but it gets the job done.