Mower's mufflers+rust=Yuck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Apr 18, 2001.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

All my mowers have rust on the mufflers from the heat they produce. I think it's from the heat. But, is there anything I can do to stop them from rusting? My clean well kept mowers have ugly mufflers, they look odd like that.

2. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Summit,
    Because I also work in auto parts and service I would have to say there is nothing to keep it from happening. The only thing you can do to help is fine grade (like oo) steel wool. That will take it off temporarily but I am afraid, because of the heat, it will return.

Rick

3. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Why not paint them with some of the high temp paints made for exhaust systems. Most auto stores carry many colors.
    Cleve.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Powder coating may help also. There are numerous kits made to do this at home.

5. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want to spend the $$ on powder coating unless I buy a hot rod that I want. I'll probably sand and then paint it with that high temp. paint. I just wasn't sure if there was anything else I could do.

6. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I haven't ever had much luck with high temp(header) paint staying on, but Gemplers Rust Converter might work. I got a bottle, and I'll check it out tomm. and see if it can handle the heat.

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

You could try a spray can of hi temp paint for gas grills.

Funny you should mention rust. Today the manifold for my 14 Kawi rusted through. Can you say LOUD!? :eek: