mowers over the Internet-results

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GPDesign1, Apr 1, 2001.

1. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Guys,

A couple of weeks ago I asked you to respond to the idea of selling discount commercial walk-behinds over the Internet. Many thanks to all who took the time to make responses, both positive and negative.

For those of you who wished me a near future of death by festering boils, you'll be glad to hear that we've decided not to mess with the project. The effort to payback ratio is simply not high enough.

For those of you who did like the idea of buying direct from a manufacturer (and cutting out the dealer's layer of profit) my guess is that within a couple of years, you'll get your wish. As more and more products move away from old style distribution and embrace the Internet, the consumer will win through better prices and more direct contact with the producer. Commercial mowers are such a tight margin item, they're ripe to move to direct distribution. JMHO.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Best of luck in profitably growing your businesses.

regards,
    Gary Patridge

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Gary,

I'm glad we were able to divert you from an unproductive capital investment which could have drained months and many dollars from your resources.

If things got a little rough well, call it tough love.

You are correct in saying that soon many more manufacturers will sell direct via the web. Share holders may well demand it in order to cut costs.

I will say that at this early stage, John Deere may be one of the more forward thinking companies in terms of identifying new ways to reach end users (including the web).

Many more will follow so may I recommend, if you are excited about the potential of green industry equipment, positioning yourself somewhere else within the new economy...

3. rlpenny

rlpenny LawnSite Member

Uhm....what happened here back in 2001? What made you change your mind Gary?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

He actually decided to go with the venture. Click the BETTER icon at the top right of this page to see the results.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I'm glad he decided to go for it though, otherwise, I would be spending 4,000 on a metro hp. (yes, $4,000 shipping costs to hawaii are outragious).

6. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is probably gonna sound silly, but...

this is something I've wanted to do my entire life. There's no accouting for what someone's "dreams" are and mine has been to have a lawn and garden equipment manufacturing company.

Most of the other companies in the industry would have "studied" an idea like Better Outdoor Products until the game was over... we decided to "just do it".

YeHaaaa! Who needs roller-coasters!

:D

Gary
    Better/

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Gary, you are an inspiration to all entrepreneurs.. Thanks.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

that's the great thing about this country, we can go and follow our dreams and live them out.

I guess mine is to have a equipment dealership, and a fabshop so I can tinker. I've always loved mechanical things ever since I was little.

I just finished taking down an 18 kohler that had scored cylinders. man those things are devilishly simple. I love how something so simple can have so much power. maybe we'll see a quick 36 with an 18 kohler :waving:

so hows business gary? you still have that 3 week backlog from not being able get them super duty's out fast enough? I bet they'll sell even faster if you work those exaust issues on the 15 kohler out and put it on there.