mowers rip up grass on turns :(

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Juan91, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Juan91

Juan91 LawnSite Senior Member

we're still kinda new to using these machines, but lately, they have been tearing up the grass on turns.. we mowed at a lower gear and it is still doing it.. is this a problem with the tires? or are the traction brakes overadjusted, any help appreciated

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

My Bobcat skid steer is doing the same thing...let me know if you find out anything.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

All Skids do this, It's caused from the tires sliding sideways in tight turns. Make wide sweeping three point turns to reduce turf tear-up.

As for the mower, Keep both wheels moving in a turn so the one doesn't twist the turf up.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I was kidding................

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well..... It flew right over my head, Because it's a common complaint from renter's of our skid......

6. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If they're belt drive mowers, keep the wheel that you are braking moving just a little bit and take wider turns. That should pretty much fix your problem. If they're hydros, take 3-point turns, that is one of the main reasons to have the dual hydros. Good Luck

7. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I really don't care. I always do 180s and if I'm happy ill do a 360 then a 180.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. what about doing 90's.

9. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Sub with a 240.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

on walk behinds I turn a little the opposite way I am turning before I make the turn I want to go so it can be nice and wide. If that makes any sense.