Mowers Running?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnzoo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Lawnzoo

Lawnzoo LawnSite Member

I am new to business and have overheard others within the business state they keep mowers running on and inside of trailers all day. Is this the norm SOP?

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I would say no it's not the norm. I will sometimes leave a mower running on my open trailer this time of year on my way to my first account just to warm it up before use. Leaving mowers running in an enclosed trailer is a bad idea and should never be done.

3. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't ever leave a mower running while on the trailer, much less IN a trailer. I have an enclosed trailer and dump inside. Even when the trailer starts getting full I also turn the mower around so the motor/exhaust is no where near the grass or leaves as to not start a fire.

4. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have left my rider running while going between jobs, but only with an open trailers. I would not let it run all day, just for short drives.

5. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

According to Kohler,.....It is recommended to warm an engine for 3 minute before use. Allow the engine to run at idle for one minute after use to let it reach normal operating temperature if it was run hard. Running a warm engine at idle for longer periods can cause the plugs to foul.

6. Lawnzoo

Lawnzoo LawnSite Member

what's the purpose? To save battery??

7. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

WHen it is cold out i usually start my mower at my house and let it run to the first job just because a lot of my stuff is old and cold blooded and can sometime be a pain to start the first time each day. Keeps you from looking bad in front of customers trying to get it started after a 20 degree night.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Wasting gas, fire threat, bad for aircooled engines, increased pollution. Not a single reason to do it. If your engine doesn't start when cold get it fixed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Talk about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning!

They must make some horrible stripes on their properties inhaling smoke all day.

-Michael

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

besides you, can you tell me anyone else you know who actually follows those guide lines on a pretty normal basis?

i start using all my equipment as soon as i fire it up with the exception of the first property on a cold morning. on those cold morning i will let them warm up a bit before going full throttle.

but in the spring and summer as soon as the key is turned or starter pulled and the engine is fired it's up to full throttle and off i go. mowers, trimmers, blowers, edgers, hedge trimmers, etc.

when finished all handhelds are shut off immediately and put away, mowers usually get a ride back to the trailer at half throttle depending on how far away i am or at least a ride up the trailer ramp at half throttle and then shut off as soon as it's parked.

i've never had issues with equipment for the way i run them nor can i see a real reason to be letting your equipment run on the trailer between jobs.

i will note i run kawasaki engines not kohler engines and if this is some requirement of kohler engines then may i never own one.