Mowers scrare me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sitting at home tonight just relaxing having a cold one and watching the game. The phone rings and it's a girl who wants a one time cut. I had left a flyer on her door for $30 weekly. I told her it would be $5 extra for a one time cut and I needed payment up front, she agreed. She then proceeds to ask when I'm going to be there so she can be sure to be gone. I say fine as long as I'm payed up front. She then tells me that she is afraid of lawn mowers and doesn't even like to be in the house when there around. Has anyone else ever encountered this before?

2. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

you have just entered the next demention...no I have heard of it ,just never whitnessed it. most people I see want to watch the mower guy.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You answer your business line while you're chillin' drinkin' a beer watching the game? :dizzy:

4. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

Was she 6 years old? a a green I always charge extra for the show if they want to watch :p

5. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

ZTR mower.....$7000.00
    String trimmer.....$250.00
    Big Azz blower.....$300.00

Mowing your customers lawn in the "BUFF" while shes watches....

PRICEless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone pays for something,,,even with MazterKard.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Ya never know her reasons for being scared........could be a childhood thing. I don't see how it could be a 1 time thing.......sounds like she ain't gonna do it.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree HOMER,
    It maybe she is scared of the health effects, I had a lady last year called me. she couldn't handle pollen, it would send her straight into the ER for her asthma.
    Never try to read too much into the motive, just be reasonable and you will probably gain a full service customer, I had to pass mine to another LCO
    She was way out of my service area, just could'nt give a good enough price for the drive required.

8. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

My sister was terrified of lawnmowers.She lost her job a while back and came to work for me for a while.Sure cured her fear of mowers! No mow No $ :) :) :) :) :)

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

So how does she get the lawn cut other than your one time cut? Goats???

What would the psych word for "afraid of mowers" be??
    Mow-a-phobia? :help:

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

You never know her reasons, but a one time cut sounds odd....

Last season a gal working for us lost the tips of 2 of her fingers ... I was the one that bandaged her up and held her while waiting for the ambulance. The next morning when the mowers fired up in the shop it sent a shiver through me ...weird feeling. Mowers should definitely be respected.