Mowers, trimmers, Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 11, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Along with mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc a digital camera has been a must have for my business. I'm not sure how many of you carry one or use it in your business. I use mine enough for it to be a legitmate write off come tax time and definately part of my business. We have alot of vacation homes in this area and my clients live in other states. I started sending photo's of the work so they could see how things were looking even though they could not physically be there to check my work. If a bank had a lot that was far from the main branch I would often include pictures to indicate the work I done and also they could use them for sales purposes (repo's), now real estate company's from out of state are requiring before and after photo's. I really never expected a digital camera to be such a big part of my work but that's how its turned out. You guys that have clients that say their grass was not cut can have pictures as proof of your work. I did have one lady that wondered why her lawn didn't look as lush as it did in the Spring and wanted me to keep it that way, so it can backfire. I can't make mid Summer grass look lush during dry spells but other than that it has been a very positive influence on my business. In fact many seem to have much more trust in me and even send keys to inspect the homes while they are away.

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Yes a digi is a very important part of the green industry, every body should have one,bar nobody, can save time on a lot of disputes and time is money.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Used to use one all the time.
    Then I broke it.

If I can ever find another that is simple to use that takes reasonable quality pictures that are a reasonable size (L X W) and also of reasonable file size I will buy another and use it.

4. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Used on on a property in FL when the owner was saying I wasnt mowing the lawn.... took pics each week and sent them to the prop. manager. She wrote the owner and lit into him. Ahhh vendication!

I've also used it for reference pics to show what my accounts look like to new prospects.

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im right with Tacoma...I use a digital camera all the time in my business. I do work for out of town folks...and I think they like the fact that i'll email them pictures from time to time.

6. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I gotta show before and after pics for 90% of my properties. It's a pain in the butt, but better than dealing with actual live and present clients. Keep a back-up camera in the truck.

7. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Every morning...my cell goes In one top pocket and the small Digital goes In the other.
    I have A2GB card in this tiny Canon...It takes some real long and fine movies as well. Great little toy...I mean equipment.

8. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I use one for damage that was done before i service the property and keep it on record. I had one the other day where guy next door to my customer must of made a turn and turfed a good section of that hill. So i snapped a picture before the cut and told home owner. No big deal to him, but for others i would have to prove that i didn't do it.

One of the best tools i own...

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I use the camera all the time.

10. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

sony cybershot 4.0 megapixles, 3x optical, 3xdigital zoom, and are really easy to use. You can find them at walmart.