1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowers with too much power?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Critical Care, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I came upon the following thread that asks whether or not the mowers of today need all of the horsepower that they have. It would be interesting to hear your comments about this subject, either here or within the thread itself.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am one of those people that can never have to much HP.
    Today engine mfg's are working as fast as they can to build reliable higher hp engines for the mass of ZTR manufactures out there.
    We manufactures get the requests from you the end user and we look at what we can provide you with, within a reasonable price range.
    As long as people are asking for it then we will consider building it.
    With the demands of commercial mowing in todays market place, the need for higher hp faster cutting units is here, to run larger decks at higher ground speeds with larger pumps and wheel motors and taller thicker grass, the need for hp is there.
    Where will it stop? I dont know, I do know that there will never be enough for everyone to be happy.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If we could only get Diesels on the small frame units. Now that would be the setup.
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

When used correctly HP is a wonderful thing. It's rather amazing to cut a lawn that's about 8" or 9" high, with custom super lift double blades and have the lawn look almost bagged without having to cut it 2 or 3 times. HP is the only way to spin the blades.
  5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Since you posted the link to the high horsepower, I would guess you read what I had to say about more horsepower. This is what brought me to the conclusion bigger is sometimes better.
    I used to install Energy Management Systems (A computer that controls Air conditioning, Refrigeration and lighting. Mostly in commercial buildings.) I used to travel all over installing and servicing these systems.
    The companies that I work for had 4-cylinder 6-cylinder and 8-cylinder pick-ups with utility shells on them. When loaded down the bigger engines would yield a higher Mpg than the smaller engines would, not to mention they would last a lot longer than the over worked 4-cylinders. The diesels would out work and out last the gas engines, plus return the highest Mpg.
    When the manufactures operate their engines at their peak torque instead of there peak horsepower everyone will win.