1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metfanjim, Apr 26, 2001.

1. metfanjim

metfanjim LawnSite Member

I blew anengine today on an Exmark and need a new mower 36". Funds are low but I don't want to buy anything cheap in quality. My dealer wants to sell me a 36" MTD Pro and I don't know much about them. Price is good, demo for 1650.00 with full warranty. Please input any thoughts
  2. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

Did you ever consider just replaceing the engine. Small engine ware house, sells 14hp Kawasaki's for $750.00
  3. metfanjim

metfanjim LawnSite Member

Tranny is nearly shot and mower is 7 years old
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Add a few hundred more to it and get a new eXmark 36". We recently checked and a lot of the dealers are still carrying the 36" metro for $1999.
  5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm getting my metro in about 2 weeks, go to the exmark forum and find out if any dealers in your area are offering the special.
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'd take a metro over an mtd pro anyday dave
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Scott H wrote:
    Small engine ware house, sells 14hp Kawasaki's for $750.00

Plus a minimum of $50 for shipping. You can get a 17 hp Kawasaki twin at Alamia for the same price. The 14 hp Kawasaki is $595.00. http://www.alamia.com
  8. Most of the time the input bearings (about $30)are the only things that need replacing in the peerless trannys.

You can buy a brand new 12.5 hp OHV engine for $370 w/free shipping.

Add some new belts and tires and you have just rebuilt your machine for 1/4 the price of a new unit.

Save the planet recycle!!!