Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by okie2, Apr 11, 2007.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

I mow about two acres at my house. Should I go with a used commercial mower or a new residential one?
  2. xtrim

xtrim LawnSite Member

You will save a lot of time with a commercial, they are faster, and if its a zero turn, trees and obstacles won't be a problem.

Commercials will also last a lot longer, but take into account how many hours the used machinery has.
  3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

on the other side of the coin;
    you are buying a machine with an unknown history. has it been abused? has the engine been serviced appropriately(i know the seller will swear that it has, fwiw), does it have warranty? how much/transferrable? what parts are reaching the end of their expected life? what will it cost to replace these parts?
    some residential mowers will have 3-4 yr warranties. they will also likely be lighter on the turf. to me the satifaction of knowing that i have a new machine that can more than capably meet my needs is where i would put my money. i can use and service it myself, and have some reasonable idea as to what to expect for service life and problems.
    now of course if i could buy a commercial mower with 5 hours for the same money as i could buy a new residential mower, that is where i would take some risk.
    to me, the hustler fasttrak 54" with its 4 yr warranty is tough to beat for your size yard.
  4. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

A used commercial mower from a homeowner (single owner) will probably be the best cost/performance but they are hard to find. I got lucky and bought my 48" scag off of a co-worker who now has a lawn service. It was close to 10 years oldwhen I bought it but I estimate that he probably put less than 250 hours total on it and maintained it well. I'm sure it'll easily go another 10 years with good maintenance.

If a lawn service contractor is selling the mower I'd be wary...
  5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same situation, size and homeowner and am also getting a little older, 61 years old. After years of fooling with homeowner grades I went with a Scag wildcat. The way that thing is built it looks like it will be the last mower I purchase. I generally got about ten years out of a lawn tractor, but that was with a lot of maintance and parts replacement as I went along and am to the point where I do not need the frustrations and can afford a quality machine. My last lawntractor was a JD LX 277, their high grade lawn tractor which has served me well, Only one little idler bearing has failed in 7 years, so I am keeping it to tow a heavier cart and to move my large utility trailer around when have the need. The ZTR has cut my mowing time by more than half.
  6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Scag Tiger Cub with 1200 hours on it. It needed some minor repairs, but I'd do it again in a heart beat. I cut 1/2 acre of my back yard this evening in about 20 minutes.
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id go with the used commercial or if you can afford it get a new one
  8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a new commercial one, and it'll last you a lifetime. A few have reported in this forum of finding a little-used commercial ZTR that had been owned previously by another homeowner, but that might be almost as remote a possibility for you as winning a lottery. If you take that path, you may have to wait a long time before finding something worthwhile. I went with a popular American manufacturer (Exmark) and recommend the same to you, but you may want to consider something like a new Bad Boy ( rather than waiting for a used something else to show up. Good luck!