1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jerry917, Jan 16, 2004.

1. jerry917

jerry917 LawnSite Member

I am just starting my own grass cutting business.
    My 2 sons will be helping me.
    IS a 36 inch yazoo kees walk behine a good mower to start with
    or would a 48 inch be better.

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on the gates you have to go through. I would opt for the 48" for the overall productivity but then it might not fit through the gate.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Homer is so correct. But you need to look at the size of the yard that has a gate 36". Not all gated yards with small openings are small by no means.
    Gravey is making a 34" rider for 4400 that looks real good and fast. Great dane makes a mower that folds up and goes threw a small opening then mows at 52"s.
    So there are a couple options to start with and i'm sure there will be plenty more.
  4. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

You have to take into consideration the size of all the yards you intend to mow. A 36 would be better for gates, but a 48 or 52 would take care of a lot more yard in a shorter time. I have a 52 Zero turn Exmark, a 48 WB gravely and I also have a regular old Troy Built 42 rider. I also use a 22 push mower if I have to. There are a lot of options but I would spend the biggest bucks on a mower that you will use on more than just gated areas.