1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowin' 20 acre field

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Mar 20, 2005.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'm lookin at mowin approx 20 acres of field grass which is pretty straight forward and easy. Field is to be mowed to a height of 6" and not to exceed 12". Was thinkin about doin it with either a 72" or a 60" bush hog pulled behind a 25-30hp kubota. Never using this set up before I really don't know how long it will take per acre to mow. Any help would be appreciated. This would help me with my bid.
  2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

How high is the grass now? I did a job where I had to mow 2 country landing strips for small planes. Would have to say about 15 to 20 acres total mowing. Not very bumpy and the grass we took off about 4 iches every mow. Bid it at $200 a mow. no trimming just mowing. Took with 2 guys on 60 inch riders going about 10 mph about 1 1/2 hours. So with one guy around 3. So you might try giving a price to mow it once to see how long it will take you and you could probably give better price on your timeframe that it takes. Good luck.
  3. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I would say grass will be around 12" and will be cut to 6". And like I said it is just an open field so it is sure to be bumpy with some obstacles. I don't see this being cut with a Z either. the grass is too thick and terrain not as forgiving as a normal lawn. 15-20 acres for $200, that is CHEAP!
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you're going to be removing 6 inches of grass with each cut, you're going to definitely need a brush hog. It would kill a ZTR in no time. I would bid it at no less than $40 per acre. That's a lot of grass to remove in one mowing. With a 72 inch brush hog you should be able cut 4-5 acres per hour.
  5. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thats about right on track with what I was thinking. Basically a per acre charge of right around what you said. I thought the acres per hour though would be less but now thinking about it it sounds pretty close. I would love if someone actully had did a job just like this and could give me an acre per hour comparison.
  6. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

T. J.,

We had a job bush hogging an 11 acre field and charged them $75 per acre. The bush hog and the aerator are two of the most profitable pieces of equipment we own. Too bad they sold that property!
  7. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

15-20 Commercial acres for 200$!!!! HOLY CRAP! Hey i got a nice bridge i want to sell you!

15-20 acres at the god dam bear minimum 500$ per cut and if the grass starts to grow quick im comming out more than once a week definatly not going to choke my machine on 2 foot high grass and do a crappy job.
  8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

rclay11541....you need to watch your mouth. No need for language like that.
  9. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

sorry pastor didn't know we were so touch in here.
  10. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

normally it is the slack-jaw yokels down south who talk like that