Mowin aaround a playground?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wattsup, Jun 15, 2002.

1. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

I cut the entrance and playground areas at a subdivision and there are always children at the playground. I am afraid something will discharge from the mower and injure someone. Would it be practical to ask the children to leave until I finish. There are also parents there with them. The first time I did it I assumed the parents would be smart enough to make their children leave, but apparently they are not.

2. I'd go early am before kids are there

3. Doh!

Doh! LawnSite Member

If i were you i would definately ask them to take a break while you finish mowing. if there is a chance it something could happen it will when you least expect it.

the parents may assume that since you think its safe to mow, then its ok for them to stay in the area. it is your responsibility to mow safely.

if the parents aren't there the kids may think your crazy, but i'd tell them to beat it while your working. better safe than sorry.

4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

This is one of the main reason's a mulch kit is better than side discharging grass. you don't have to worry as much that a kid will get hit from mower debrie. Now weedeating is another story.

I still don't understand why everyone discharges and takes the chance of throwing a rock or something out the chute. Mulch kit takes care of all that.

Scot

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

side discharge for me ,but mulch for that job. and that aint safe enough.i dont envy u on that one.

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Cut it early in the morning of have ice-cream in the truck and ask the kids to stay away if I was a kid I would tell ya to go to HE double hockey sticks, but if there was ice cream I would go for it lol.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I mow several city parks and a daycare center. When at all possible, I mow them early before people get there. If mowing during the day, I use my Dixie Chopper and close the OCDC. I also carry a 1/2 million dollar liability policy. Hope I never have to use it.:)

8. JimB

JimB LawnSite Member

I can't believe your even asking this question !!!
    One small rock to the head of one of those kids and your DONE !!!
    Mow early or tell em to leave, case closed !!!

...Jim

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Jim on this one. Even if you mulch, it's too much risk in my opinion.

10. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

with that many kids you gotta do something.
    next year raise the price to include ice cream weekly for the kids or lemonade. Is it like a hoa, write a letter to the board or go talk to them and then have the letter sent out to all just saying when the mowing guy shows up to cut aroud the playground leave. If somebody doesn't leave still, then ask them again. Meant even have to go back to the board and be like johnny is stupid and he doesn't want to leave when i need to mow. Something happens and your done like when momma forgot about the pizza in the oven.
    peace
    bryan