1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowin in rain.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, May 25, 2003.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just a comment. i can and will mow in the rain to, stay caught up, if possible.
    but now its to the point of damaging soupy turf. thats when i draw the line,
    even if the bills are hard to meet.
  2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

most of my accounts are seasonal contracts, sometimes mowingin the rain is neccessary but i get paid regaurdless... this week everyone was callingto make sure i was coming tho....i was very difficult and actually took an entire extra day.. the ulta vac onmy exmark kept clogging and the grass weighed a tun, mulching in this weather leaves clumps and looks liek ****....id rather wait till it dries up but most people dont care they just want it done.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm in the same boat! Mowing the rain is also very messy. The equipment,sidewalks, and yourself get covered in grass. The best part about cutting in the rain is the hot shower at the end of the day!
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

cutting in the rain blows. we did about 25 of the 40 accounts, the rest will get back on thier regular schedule next week, and charged accordingly. we did manage an install job too
  5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Mother Nature is not a good friend of this industry....nevertheless, what needs done gets done...if it means double, triple cutting, blowing off the lawn and doing it again....some clients understand, others do not...that is why communication from day one is so key.
  6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree 100% with you Sean. I always talk to my customers and let them know when I will be there and when I wont (if because of weather).

I never cut in the rain. Too risky for the customers lawn to get ruined. I will not risk that because they are too valuable to me, and it shows I really do want to take care of their lawn.

I will however come at another time and double or triple cut to make sure it is handled in a professional manner. Yeah it might take a little more time then, but I wont have to be out finding a replacement customer due to them firing me for ruining their yard when wet!

I laugh at these guys out there pounding their mowers in the mud, leaving ruts and terrible tracks all over, leaving the place looking like a wreck. Its just not worth it, even if you get way behind because of waiting.

Talk to the customer, they would appreciate your wait as well.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the difficult part about skipping the cut, is trying to explain to them why you double billed them for the next service, when that 20 minute cut turns into an hour. most of them dont think they should be billed "because its not their falt that it rained". well guess what, its not mine either, and this is what needed to be done to maintain YOUR property. i hate cutting in the rain, its hard on the lawn, my mowers, and my body, but sometimes u just have to do it.
  8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been sending all our customers residential and commercial letters stating what day we will be there for service and if rain or climate weather is on there scheduled day we will try to fit them in when dry conditions are present or will be cut the following week with possibilities of higher cost! We have retained 98% of the customers after this letter has been sent out. If its dry then rains we will go out but behind or not if its raining we dont mow and communications with our customers has been a key roll. It takes us probly 25% less time per cut to wait till dry which relates to more revenue from payroll labor.
  9. Joemow

Joemow LawnSite Member

Guys, The weather we have been getting so far this season has been unbelieveable. The grass has been soaked five out of seven days. I'll try to jump ahead when possible, but you can only jump so far. Some of my people don't understand the difficulty in scheduling mowing or the sloppy results they recieve. Its even worse when it rains(showers or drizzle) for weeks on end. As you guys were saying , it is more time consuming blowing driveways & walks when its wet.
    If you skip a week & it rains the next week your screwed.
    If you mow & make a mess, your screwed.
    Its not easy!
  10. There was an article in the newspaper by the local weather spotter. She wrote there was one day this month without rain.

We're prepared for wet springs with rain suits, high lift blades etc. but this is getting ridiculous!

It's raining now! It was NOT in the forecast. NWS is predicting a 30% chance or rain tomorrow. I'm betting we'll get it.

Got to work a couple of hours tomorrow. Been getting a little behind. Because of guess what.... RAIN