1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowin' wet turf/ nonstop rain solutions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys do when it just keeps rainin' and you gotta mow?! It's been raining nonstop here! I managed to get in 1 mow today. I was wonderin' how you guys handle such a situation. How do your mowers do in the rain?
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Triple and Quadruple cut. Just keep going till it looks good. Get out there and work in the rain (just not when there is lightning), it will make a man out of ya. Not like its cold down there.
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

4. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

We mow on a 4 day schedule Tues-fri. Schedule mulch and other jobs for Monday and Saturday. If I know it's gonna rain I try and juggle the schedule, sometimes it's impossible to do. We generally don't mow in the rain, but if we do we put the decks up 1/4 inch and deal with it the next week. It's either raining too much or not enough, you gotta wonder sometimes why we're in this.
  5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I cut in the rain, but when there is a Hurricane....... I give up. It seems by lookin' at the weather ch that 's the type of rain you are having. We try to cut as soon as the rains stop, cut a bit higher, but keep rollin.
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Well you see my lazer mulches tall, wet grass just fine, I'm worried about making ruts and tearing up the turf because the ground gets soft from rain. Thanx for the post SLS, will read it now.....
  7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

This mows in Seattle's non-stop rain and will mulch too.....Only get's sharpened 2x a year.
  8. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Well I am sure you might have gotten as much rain as we had. From Thursday through Saturday, there was no possible way that we could mow. Unless we wanted to mow water!!!!!!! If my exmark could float, I think I could have managed. We are slightly behind schedule. We received 13 inches of rain in 2 days. Cars were floating down the road. This time we just had to wait for some of the water to go down. I finally was able to start back up yesterday. Still going strong today too. :rolleyes:
  9. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

What make is that how is it on clumping?
    This is my mower for wet grass.

10. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Jones: How many lies do you have? Tell all of them so we don't have to read your posts any more. Thanks, Tim.