1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing 3+ Acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Aug 15, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Within the past week I have been offered to take on 6 or more large accounts (3+ acres each). I was wondering what is the fastest/best mower out for the bigger accounts? I already have a Exmark Lazer HP 52", but I need something 60" or more. I like the Exmark for smaller yards, but I have problems with it cutting good in tall or wet grass. Maybe more horse power on the liquid cooled mower would help me out, I don't know.

Anyone have a mower preference for large accounts? What about the Dixie Chopper? Exmark is only 18,500 feet per minute. Dixie is 19,000 feet per minute. Would it help out that much in tall or wet grass?

Any suggestions are welcome. I appreciate your time and your help.

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

The numbers you are using refer to blade tip speed and it is feet per second. For large, wide open areas you may want to consider a 72" deck. I imagine either an Exmark or a Dixie Chopper would do the job well.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, the blade tip speed is measured by ft. per minute, (that WOULD be cool if it WAS ft per sec.:D). Go with the brand you have, just in a biggermachine. You'll be well off. ;)
  4. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

Stay with the exmark go 72"
  5. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Thanks for all the post. Does anyone know how much the Lazer Z XP 72" runs? I love my exmark, but it sucks on lawns over 1/2 acre. You just can run fast enough as I thought I would be able to run. I can cut an acre in about an hour. I need something a heck of a lot faster than that. Thanks again.
  6. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I have one account thats 3+ acres i mow trim and blow in under 2 hours.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have a 4 acre lawn that we mow.......... 1 hour and 5 min's, that's mowing and trimming. We are using a 60in Cub TANK and a 72in CUB TANK.......
  8. About $12,500

XP is liquid cooled daihatsu 27hp diesel or 31hp gas.

I am working some bids for larger 100+ acres.

i will be using Exmark.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A lazer hp will not cut as well in tall or wet grass as a full size lazer.We have a 52" hp and a 60" lazer and the lazer can always run faster in the thick stuff because of the deeper deck.the 52"
    bogs down much quicker than the 60" lazer.Oh by the way they,both have 23 horse motors so it is not a horsepower issue.
    as far as cutting faster with a different brand......???????????
    just because a dixie can go 13 mph does not mean you will cut grass at that speed.
  10. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have a HustlerZ 60" that cuts nice lawns great, but in tall or wet grass, my Toro's with the SFS deck outperforms it hands down. Toro has a 72" ztr with this deck and an assortment of out front trim mowers with gas or diesel with a 72" deck and up. Would be worth checking in to.