1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing 8"+ high grass in one pass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some photos of a for sale lot I mow every two weeks. The grass is being cut with a 2002 scag tiger cub 23HP Kawi, 52" deck, prototype blades.

I started cutting at 8:00AM, and it was very wet. It had rained yesterday and there was a heavy dew this morning. It was one of those days when you could see drops of water hanging on every blade of grass.
    I am cutting at 3.5" and the grass is 8"+ in high. I am side discharging into the previous row.

I am removing 4.5" of grass and you can see how clean it looks. This is one pass.

FYI- This is for BHB
  2. Jimbo

3. Jimbo

Pic 1

4. Jimbo

Pic 2

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

That looks real good. I don't see any clippings. You better be charging double though right.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Nice!!!!!! what kind of blades did you say they were?? That is sweet, I need an Advantage deck!
  7. Jimbo

I should also mention that the mowing was at normal speed. This last shot was the final product. No stringers as you can see.

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Looks real good. You must be going fairly slow, no dis to the mower. I know I'd have to slow down with my Toro's or my Walker, that looks good.

I've got 2 properties I mow every other week. I actually look forward to doing them cuz you really get to wring the mower out and really see what it's capable of.

In pic #2 it looks like you're not using like 10" of deck though......move that front castering wheel over into the rough and use all that deck!
  9. Jimbo

In pic 2 I was trying to hang the mower out so it would be a comparison of how high the grass was.

The mowing speed was normal...normal for the terrain I was mowing. You see all those white dots in the last photo? Those are rocks. This property is rough!!!
    I would say that normal speed for this property is half as fast as the mower will go. I assure you I am not limping along so that the blades have time to cut the grass up more. The mower does not bog down either.
    I go as fast as my body can handle...it really jerks me around.
  10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

So tell us more about these PROTOTYPE blades!!!!! Are they something you came up with???? :) ED