1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing a cemetary

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Nov 11, 2003.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Ive never bid on a cemetary before and was wondering if I could get some help.Total acres is about 13, normal headstones and borders around the plots. They do spray round-up about 3 times a year so not as much trimming as normal. I have a Toro Z100 44'' to use. I thought about getting a larger mower but many spots are to narrow. The 44'' will work best. I figured a rough estimate of 40 man hours. Is this about in line. Flat land with very few trees.
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Curry,

Here is a post that may be helpful.

3. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You'll never have the whole thing done at one time. They won't like that. Cemeterys are bumpy... Ugh!!
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

umm kootoomootoo,please if you could be more indept about your response.......

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

I do a med. (small med ) sized cemetary.
    They are very time consumeing , and yes very bumpy.....
    Price it on the high side. There nice thoaugh, no one there to bug you .Usually good money.
    I would do more, but not the real big ones....
    hope this helps
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

40 man hours to do a 13 acre cemetary???

No friggin way would I waste that amount of time on just one job...unless you were like getting like $2500 a cut for it each time.

Sounds to me like you would make better time with a hydro WB than a Z in there. At least that's what we use on the cemetaries we do.

I use a 52" z hp... it works excellent. Fits between most stones and down the rows... then weed wack whats left....
    there is this stuff, that I have heard mention of.. Its called protrim...It will slow the growth of grass... good for around the head stones im told.......dont know for sure thoaugh...
  9. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I mow a 6.2 acre cemetary.
    Give or take 30 minutes depending on conditions:
    Mowing takes 5.5 hrs with a 52" side discharge Walker.
    Trimming takes 5.5 hrs.
    I do everything myself, no help.
    I get $350.00 each mowing.
    Maybe this will help.

those times sound about the same as what mine works out