1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowing a cemetery??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmorris, Aug 7, 2004.

1. cmorris

cmorris LawnSite Member

I got a call today from a property management company wanting me to give an estimate on a cemetery. I went and drove through the cemetery and can tell that the company doing it now is doing a horrible job. The property management company that called has a lot of properties, I don't want to turn them down and hurt future opportunities with them.. So how in the hell do I bid a cemetery???? thank you
  2. GNRL

GNRL LawnSite Member
    from Wi

Guesstimate-adjust later payup
  3. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I spend a lot of time with the trimmer, just beware if it is an older Cemetary your mower may not fit down the rows or inbetween the stones, this may cost you a lot of time. I bid $250.00 per cut and got the job for the last one. Takes me about 6 hours solo to do a complete job. I found the last company raised there price to 650.00 per cut. All depends if you like the job, Hey, the customers are always quiet and know one ever pops up and complains :eek: Good luck!

I would be curious if you have a price in mind?
  4. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

From the cemeteries we've done it works out to 3/4 acre of mowing and weedeating the graves stones per man hour. New sections of a cemetery, where the stones are more in a straight line and evenly spaced a little more, old sections with uneven rows, double rows of stones back to back and with grave blankets you'll get less. You also need to ask them about their flower policy- can you pick up and dispose of or do you have to work around every thing that someone chooses to throw on the ground. If you do cemeteries you get to hate plastic and silk flowers with a passion. Another problem with cemeteries is you have to be carefull when you do them, wet grass sticks to the stones like crazy.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Walk away from the cemetary. Walk away. I used to do 3, never again. There's a reason the old company charged $650 / cut.
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I have always declined to bid on these but if you want to give it a try, perhaps you can tell them that you will need to service the property twice at 'x' dollars. (i'd make sure your number for the first 2 is on the high side. )Then give them a number after you've done the first 2 cuts. If its a fairly large property, and takes considerable time, I would insist on at least a 2 year contract.

I'd make sure YOU are in the drivers seat if you decide to take it...but beware....some cemetaries dont look so bad but others, especially ifthey are old, have grave markers out of the ground , uneven terrain, etc. And relatives of the deceased can get very cranky if you damge a marker, or the flowers/decorations that people place on graves throughout the year. I'd give this considerable thought before I accepted this job.
  7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We mow an old 2 acre cemetary (95% of the graves are above ground) we can mow w/o trimming in 2.5 hours and w/ trimming in 4 hours. After mowing this account for 4 years we get pretty fast at it!
  8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

please give us more info,are the stones above or below ground it really does make a diffrence in pricing...
  9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

We mow 3 cemetaries, now let me tell you they are a reall PITA. Plan for a lot of trimming and make sure you have a a 36 Deck Mower. Make sure the mower operater is your best we'll either way they'll learn because when you hit a stone....wow that hurts. Price it out like a normal lawn but then take into consideration about 4 times more trimming.

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

no way would we ever do a cemetery:mad: