mowing a field in the woods???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 19, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a property that has several acres of turf, about 1 of those acres is a secluded field in the woods, there is a path that goes to the field but the field is like 1.25 miles from the other lawn, i have never mowed this, the customer has done this with his mowers, but his year he is getting too old. my question is, the path is tooo narrow for my equipment to go down, would you make the path bigger and charge the customer for it or would you just "push" your way through with the mower?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I know this is a stupid question..but WHy does this customer think he needs to mow a natural meadow in the woos over a mile away from his home?Just curious.Yes I would make the path bigger and charge him..Can you get pics?..make sure also it's really his land your going to mow

3. mike lane lawn care

thanks she, he says it's part of the unsuspecting beauty of his home, and yes it's his property, he owns over 100 acres

4. sheshovel

Ok can you like drive there and unload close to the path or are you gonna have to drive your mower the mile+?
    The unsuspected beauty huh..well that's a new one on me but hey $$ is $$

5. mike lane lawn care

i'm gonna have to drive the mower there. looking at about a 15 to 20 min drive beacuse the trail isn't very friendly.
    by the way she, you are quick to respond. thanks

6. sheshovel

You are welcome..You should get out there and walk the field and look close at the path to see how what it's gonna take to get your equipment back there..be sure to take your time..let him know you will have to charge him more than you would for a real lawn that is readly accessible(Pain in the butt charge)and look the field over real good for obstacles,ruts,hidden holes,berms,ect,ect,ect and charge accordingly

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh man I want me one of those large-tired 4wd Gokarts so bad...
    Granted, a 4-wheeler would be more functional but I like the looks of the offroad karts.

That would be cool to hook up an electric spreader to a kart and other stuff you can do while working lol !
    Btw, they even make manual snowplows for them lol !!!