mowing a meadow, need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cedarcroft, Mar 27, 2006.

1. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I have an opportunity to mow a 9 acre plot that is done only once an year and has alot of 2-3' scrub brush and prickers in it. besides a brush hog on a bobcat, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this done?
  2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

My only other thought would be a DR Brush Cutter, however mowing 9 acres I have no idea how long it would take you. I just know that it would take a while. I think it only has a 36" deck or something like it. Plus you wouldn't even have to buy it because you can use it for 6 months and then send it back "if you dont like it" and you are not out a penny. Just my $.02.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yes. you hire an elderly farmer with a tractor and a bush hog. you ask him what he wants for the job then you double it for the bid.

you both win and the lot owner doesn't have to hire a bunch of goats.

GEO :)
  4. cedarcroft

Geo, thats what I was thinking, except there are about 3 farmers left within 50 miles of me. but you are on the right track, I think I will try and rent a pull behing bush hog and tractor and do it like that. the co-op who own the meadow pay $3000 for it to get done once a year, so its worth it for me to rent a big machine if can get it done in a day or 2.
  5. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

bushhogging can be done for cheap around here. There are 3 different guys whe advertise in the local trader paper for $35 per hour. But you should be able to knock out 9 acres in a day, easy.
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

our church wants me to mow their field. 4 acres of over grown stuff. i will be renting a tow behind trail mower for an older tractor. works well for me, might take too long for you
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

..................... double post, sorry.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you sure that isn't $300 they pay??

At $3000, that's $325 / acre, give or take.

It'd almost be cheaper for them to mow it on a weekly schedule, at that rate.

9 acres should be able to be done in about 3 hours, TOPS.
  9. cedarcroft

they paid the guy last year $600 per day it took to mow it. it took him 4 days and half of a fifth day. he was using a bobcat with brushhog attachment. they paid him 3k. I said I would do it for the same amount, but not as a daily pay. I think I cazn get it done in a day or 2, no problem.
  10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Cant amagine it taking 5 days to cut 9 acre :hammerhead: