Mowing a new construction lawn - considerations

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jopopsy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I've been told that hitting larger twigs or sticks (the kind that are want to stick out of the ground on a new contruction lawn) will take a HRX's blade shaft and bang it up real good for lack of a shear pin. Is this true?

You don't run into those types of things (typically) with a lawn tractor.

If this is true, I may have to go small rider. My yard is rife with these sticks (and as the ground settles more I see more poke up). I can't handle the thought of a 730 dollar mower going belly up on the first couple of passes.

Any thoughts?

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i wouldn't worry so much about twigs or sticks that aren't attached in the ground. it may make a racket but i don't think it will damage your new mower. concrete chunks, which should be easy to see, and re-bar stuck in the ground (or other metal) can bend the crankshaft. i would walk the property carefully, then cut at the highest setting. then go back and walk it again..... i think you will be ok.

i think what you really want is for us to say that you need a rider: ok, you need a rider.......go get it.....if you want to do it on the cheap, i so some good reports on the JD's at HD/Lowes for $2300.......i would spend another 1k and get a Hustler, but if you are on a budget for a walk behind, i know it is a tough sell to get you to jump to $3500........

3. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

Nah. I'm just stuck in Analysis Paralysis. Its down to the Honda HRX or that Snapper RER. Comes down to what I want to spend and how much time I want to be out walking around the property.

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Stuff sticking out of the lawn? WTF!?!!

I'd call up the contractor and tell him he better get his @$$ in gear and re-do the lawn, because if I had to, it would be REAL expensive.

Seriously, on a new construction, you should have a warranty. And it sounds like your lawn is suffering from really shoddy construction practices.

Tell the contractor he is going to be liable for the re-work from a professional landscaping company.

5. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck withe the new mower and yard.