Mowing after Fert.&Pest.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Moguy, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

A couple accounts got their lawns fertilized today and it set me back to wondering how long after they spread the fertilizer can you mow or doesnt it matter? Might be a dumb question but, I had to ask.

2. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I asked my fert guy (i sub it out) and he said dont worry, the blades wont suck the pellets up at all due to the round shape.
    Dont feel stupid....I asked him the same question.

Oh yeah...he has 16 yrs exp....so I believe him. And he is great at his craft....my lawns are the best on the block thaks to him.

3. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Thanks Tbarchaser

4. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

if it is liquid, you need to wait at least 1 day perferably 2

5. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

All of them had the small round grandular pellets but, thanks for the info Dr. Mow

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

It is BEST to have the the fert watered in before mowing. That said I have never seen a mower pick up fertilizer, but it might move it around some.

7. Fertilizer "Prills" can be picked up and thrown by the mower....

Now Pesticides is another story, you can really mess up a lawn by moving these around.

As far as mowing about these, if I didn't apply it, and we are there on the scheduled day, that's the other companies problem.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

im very surprised you boys are worried more about the turf than your health. what about the dangers of the products becomming airborn, and u inhaleing them?

9. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

kinda taste like chicken:eek: :eek:

10. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't worry much about pellets, though depending on how low you cut it or if bagging can move them, but if they sprayed thats another story depending on what they sprayed. Like Dr. Mow said on time day or two for spray.