1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing after fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Prestigelawncare, Oct 7, 2008.

1. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Far be it for me to come to the add of TruBrown and defend and although I think they took it a tad to far. They were probably following the instructions that were on the fertilizer bags. I tell my clients to not mow for 48 hours on liquids and 24 for granular. Probably TruBrown has gotten sued so many times that they try and let me emphasis try to do things by the books. I know being in the fert business I can't tell you how many times people blame me for everything wrong in the yard.
  2. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I had a TG guy dropping fert on the back yard while I was mowing the front yard, and than moved to the front yard when I went to the back. Had another one wait for us to finish a yard and than sprayed the yard with weed control. Smart one's are'nt they!
  3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I have arrived at the same yard on 2 different occassions with trugreen applying chemicals. Both times i started cutting while they were loading thier machine back in their van.
    I was told by him both time it would not hurt anything. And i never noticed any problems in the lawn either time. Just use a little commom sense, don't bag immediatly after fertilizing or the customers my complain.
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I fert lawns at the same time my guys are mowing and I've NEVER had a problem. Spraying is a different animal. I always wait 24 hrs to mow after spraying or spray at least 48 hrs after mowing. Yes, I do both granular and spray at the same time when I can, if there are weeds.
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Chemlawn has been instructed to do their apps Mon-Wed, because the hO wants the lawn mowed for the weekend.

When they go outside their designated time period I walk and the lawn is not mowed. The HO is upset. I have only one client left that does CL, but it is 3 properties. We are debating whether we continue to mow these places if they continue with them.
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

That's NOT enough!

I would've immediately called Trugreen back and told them that they had to get ALL of their fertilizer off of the street, sidewalks & other hard surfaces around that customer's house, within a specific amount of time, or I would call the State Pesticide Control Agent on them, as well as send that agent's office digital photos of their shoddy, lazy technician practices!!!

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I have had mow companies start mowing properties before we were finished and not had any issues with fert or weed control (out of the PG and z-spray)
    I also think that sometimes broadleaf weeds are best controlled after a fresh cut, especially clover b/c you take the the canopy off.
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing like breathing in fresh herbicide/pesticide beaten into the air with mowerblades.

Some mowers are just foolish. They're not doing enough to lungs, liver and kidneys already they stir up chemicals to breathe in. :laugh:
  9. bakerc8

bakerc8 LawnSite Member

tell him your a professional and then tell him to **** off
  10. whitefish

whitefish LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, I know this is an old post, but its directly related to my problem.

I had the same issue recently on a lawn that was winter fertilized and I cut it one or two days later. I started mulching, but the owner wanted it cut down from about 3 to 3 1/2 inches down to 2 to 2.5 inches. I would have had to make at least two cuts to mulch properly, so I decided to bag. Never even though about the granular that had just been laid. I got half way through the lawn and realized that I may be picking up the fertilizer too. I picked through one entire bag of clippings and I couldn't find any obvious fertilizer granules.

I told the owner that his fertilizer was safely still on the lawn. Do you think this was likely? :confused:

The fertilize used was CIL GOLFGREEN™ Fall Lawn Fertilizer 12-3-18.