1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing After Overseeding?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Splicer, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

How soon can an overseeded lawn be mowed?:usflag:
  2. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i done an overseeding and the guy i did it for had me mow the next day. i think he should have waited myself but what the customer wants they will get as long as they pay for it, who am i to tell them what they want.
  3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

we try and wait 2-3 weeks at a minimum but we aerate b4 overseeding so much of the seed is undisturbed in the holes, sometimes we go every other week also so we dont compact and rip up the seed as much
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You're technically supposed to cut it right before you seed :rolleyes:
    Then, whenever it needs it again.

That having been said, I got into a jam with my schedule two years ago and one yard got aerated / seeded and then I cut it the very next day and it still turned out beautiful... but for obvious reasons I can not guarantee this will always be the case.

Oh yeah, it helps if the yard was aerated, the seed(s) hardly appear to be bothered.
  5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, cut it right before you overseed and then wait minimum 10 days with good watering....two to three weeks if possible.