Mowing After ReSeeding ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FatherandSon, Oct 1, 2002.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

Lawns are growing well this time of year, back to weekly cutting. Our questions is how long after a lawn is reseeded can you mow it. A lot of our customers are having their lawns reseeded now and we are not sure how long to wait before mowing again.

It does create a problem to wait too long as then it is extremely high. Would appreciate any advice as to how long to wait after the reseeding.

Thanks

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

If it looks like it will be overwhelming if I skip a week, it gets cut. For the most part if the seed has been watered in for a week it should be settled enough not to cause an issue. Not to mention, I don't want to lose the cut. ;)

3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I ususally cut the yard low before reseeding and then recut in about 4-6weeks. I cut it as high as I can. I hate to lose the cuts, but it damages the new grass when you run over it or cut it while very young. It needs to grow tall to let the roots get matured.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoa! 4-6 weeks? I'd have a field and an irate customer at that point! But then again...I'm not in Alabama. ;)

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If it's a new lawn, I would wait a month. If it's an overseed, I wait 2 weeks (at least 10 days).

MATT

6. sonandfather

sonandfather LawnSite Member

Well It a depends how long it will take for your grandfathers to HEAL!!!! Usually 3 weeks!!!!

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

2 weeks