Mowing and Fertilizing in the same trip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barefootlawnsandlandscape, Mar 31, 2006.

1. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how many of you mow and then fertilize in the same trip. I am getting behind on my first round because I just got started up, but have about 60 properties to mow. Not all of them are treated. I was thinking about taking a pallet and spreader with me next week and fertilizing right behind the mower on the properties that get this. I know it will make for long days, but my properties are as much as 30 miles apart. Just wanted to get the opinions from someone who might have tried this.
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is what I always did, your already there anyways.
  3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing that for the last two weeks. Where the weeds are really thick, I will use the walker and bag the seed heads, then finish up with the proper amount of weed & feed with a pull behind spreader. we are getting rain showers every few days so Its working out pretty good. Most of my properties are so lush and green you can spot them a block away.
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You obviously have a great idea that saves time, fuel, and vehicle expense in the long run.
  5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I do it all the time.
  6. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you could tighten up those routes a little bit. Thats a lot of driving around.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my concern would be health wise. when you are mowing + doing cleanups, i'm sure your'e not wearing - rubber boots, mask, rubber gloves, etc.
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I take it all you guys saying you do this aren't actually licensed and had the proper training by your dept of ag or even read the weed and feed labels or you would know that it cleary states NOT TO MOW with in 2 days on either side of applying.... :dizzy:
  9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

The two day delay is to get the most benefit from the herbicide when the target weed is putting its energy into rebuilding what you cut off.
  10. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

What day do they mow on your planet so I know when to apply?