1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

mowing and man hours

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobwithECLC, Dec 11, 2004.

1. BobwithECLC

BobwithECLC LawnSite Member

How much do you charge per man hour for mowing? Do you have different rates for commercial and residential? When I say mowing I am meaning mow,trim and blow.

2. BobwithECLC

I guess it would help if, I put up this disclaimer. I have been in the business for about 4-5 years and am really trying to get a better understanding of the business side of what we do. And would like some help in learning how some contractors come up with the price per mow. I think it is great to know what other people are charging per cut. I am just wanting to learn how to come up with that number.

3. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

45 residential if its not a pita... 40 commercial depending on if its flat and how much trimming. its like anything else in business...price drops with volume.

4. BobwithECLC

I have been looking at my numbers and it seemed that my price per cut was a little low. I was revising my numbers and it seemed that 45 per man hour seemed more in the ball park. which would make my minimum go from around 27 to between 30 and $32.00 per cut

5. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

so your minimum cut for any lawn is 32.... my minimum is 25 right now, and the smallest residential i do takes 2 guys 30 mins. i just round up to 25

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that's only $25.00/hr
    WAY TOO LOW

when windshield time is figured in it is even less.

you should be getting $40+ for yards like that

7. BobwithECLC

I see a lot of guys talking numbers in this area, which makes me realize that I need to find better quality customers. Because the mid-end customers that we have start to flinch when you get around 30 dollars a cut. We don't need to lower our prices we just need to find better quality customers.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I shoot for an average of $50 an hour now. My range is $25 an hour for a couple of small PITAs to $75 an hour for the good ones. The average lawn around here is 1/4 acre +/- and I generally charge $40/45.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you can't create better "better quality" customers. they start to crindge when it gets around $30 ? well there you have it, like i always said, the lawn boys before you, and the lawn boys around you, have set your price. there is not much you can do about that, except become more efficient, or make it up in extras.

10. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

We are making about $40-50 now per man hour. Started out making $15 per man hour :rolleyes: , then we got better equipment, got more efficient, and raised prices slightly. Now we're cruisin :cool: