1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing - AND MORE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jul 24, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I have spent this evening reviewing 2005 financial statements. While I count on the mowing accounts for the daily expenses, I am bettering my margins by landscaping, clean-ups, mulch, shrub trimming, planting trees, trimming trees and general handy-man projects. Shoot - I am cleaning a deck currently that will take 50+ hours with (2) 2,800 psi power washers. This job will pull over $2k.

I would prefer for this to be the main-line business. It brings a much better net with less man-hours. The only problem is that the mowing tends to feed the other side of the business. It is as if the mowing is the necessary evil to stay in contact with my client base.

Do any of you guys feel the same way? Do you separate your financial statements into sales / cost categories to track your gross profits? If not, I would highly recommend doing so. It makes for great decision making regarding future business decisions and quoting. I track man-hours on every project, because I usually repeat the service year after year. If I mis-quote once, and the client saves a lot of $, shame on them. If I mis-quote twice, shame on me!
  2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i have it set up so when i do an invoice it goes into the catagorey then i hit the button and it tells mw what makes and cost what who when where and how much i love quick books
  3. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I use Peachtree and I know many others that use QuickBooks. It just takes the time and talent to set up the system to present the proper formats.

I use Excel for scheduling. I have been refining a spreadsheet for several years that schedules by route location, average minutes of mowing, and days since last cut.