mowing and then it just dies?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

this 48" of mine has never been running perfect, always something, but i only have a year till i'm out of the buiz so i keep fixing instead of buying a new one...this time i'll be driving along just mowing a yard and it SOUNDS like it bogs down really fast and just dies...but its not bogging down, and their isn't anything around the belts or anything, greesed well, what is the problem?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like its runing out of fuel,check fuel filter,fuel line for collapsing,check the vent on fuel tank,if tank isnt vented it can create a vacum in the tank-and fuel wont flow,engine will die.Junk in the fule tank(rust) can plug up petcock,killing engine.Carb may need to be adjusted or cleaned.Good luck

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it will start up after letting it sit for a bit, it's probably the fuel filter. John gave you some good things to check. It's hard figure this out without hearing it happen, sort of like bidding a lawns without seeing it.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Why only 1 year until your out of the business?

5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like college might be ahead of him. Just a guess....we'll have to see what he says.

6. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I am ashamed to even reply with this but you may want to also check the air filter. I learned that a clogged air filter will make a 22 horse kohler sound like it has a colapsed lifter. Mine would even do what yours is doing but I would disengage the blades before it died and it would take a few minutes but would start running right again..I guess it had to get hot enough to burn off the excess fuel..anyway I forgot to change out filter with last oilchang and did a lot of leafe grinding this past fall not to mention it was an extremely dry fall at that. Lesson learned..keep airfilter changed

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I learned it the hard way too ... at least it only cost me $6 to have it looked at. Shame on me.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

grease your spindles. its probably not that but if by chance you have one trying to sieze a little grease might save the day

9. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

college is the reason i'm getting out of it, i'm graduating next year and i've got my buiz sold already so i'm out of it!

10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It could also be water in your fuel. You can see it in the inline filter, or the bottom of the gas can. When your can gets near empty, pour the remaining fuel into a glass jar. If there's water in it, you'll see it.

Also, make sure the spark plug wire is tight.