mowing around dandelions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bribrius, Apr 1, 2008.

1. bribrius

bribrius LawnSite Member

was wondering if there is a way that makes it easy to mow around dandelions without cutting them. i like dandelions and just want to mow around them with my lawn tractor and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for like a dandelion shield.

also. was thinking of getting into lawnmowing. charging like ten or fifteen dollars a lawn and just paying some kid to do the work who is in highschool. keeping like five bucks a lawn. maybe have someone planting flowers or something too and just buy the plants at walmart. give them a little cash and call it good. nothing to serious or with responsibility just maybe some homes and a few small businessess that help me make some quick cash.

any opinions? thinks its a good idea?
  2. grassyguy

grassyguy LawnSite Member

You Have To Be Kidding Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth.
  4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Sounds peachy. Don't forget to give the kid a gallon of roundup to kill the not so pretty weeds in the lawn.
  5. I think it is a great idea, myself I like dandelions also, they have such pretty yellow flowers. I just turn the blades on and off when I come to them so I don't knock the yellow heads off.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I have a customer that likes the pretty flowers also.
  7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

You should just let the grass grow until the dandelions go to seed. Then take your blower out and blow the seeds all over the place. After that proceed to mow your grass as normal and wait for fall.
  8. bribrius

bribrius LawnSite Member

what is roundup? and do i have to worry about weeds? do you have pics of weeds so we know what they look like? i figure this shouldnt be that hard its just mowing lawns and a little landscaping and once we get the basics we should be go to go. Also thinking if i offer to do it cheap enough people wont say no and i get get some business from other landscapers that charge more.

9. What kind of pole are you using ?
  10. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I think we're being played. lol