Mowing at 30F or 100F

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Mar 3, 2014.

1. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Has anyone noticed their hands getting cold while riding a z, etc. but not when walking behind a wb? Guess the exercise increases the blood flow to the extremities.

2. NoFearSpear

NoFearSpear LawnSite Member

Was behind a wb most of the day in Dallas today.....was cold!

3. NoFearSpear

NoFearSpear LawnSite Member

The ppl with crapy weed filled lawns are ready, the nice lawns wont wake for another few weeks. commercial runs all year in these parts.

4. prezek

prezek LawnSite Member

Same here. Sweating most of the day...If it was 30 I may have been in a T-shirt...

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I've noticed that for every year I age, my minimum comfort temperature goes up about another degree. I'm up to about 62 degrees now. :)

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Same here.

Seems the northern and Midwestern guys handle the cold better but the southerners do better during the hot summers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'm running ahead of your ratio. Haha.

I'm willing to acclimate!

8. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Missouri

I'd rather have the heat, but 30 doesn't bother me.

You're more bundled up in those pics than I was shoveling snow....

It was 34 degrees today and I brewed a batch of beer and BBQ'd some burgers on the deck with slippers on, flannel PJ bottoms and a tshirt and hoodie.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm sure 30 would bother me right now I am no longer use to it. But its funny how in fall doing clean ups the temps have no effects on me till we get into the low 20s then I say Uncle. As for the other direction I have mowed in 107 degrees a few summers back can't say I enjoyed it. 90 is unpleasant enough luckily up here thats usually about the high it seldom brakes 90 for more than about 20 days each year.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Heat sucks.

I posted this yesterday in the single digits thread.

It definitely is the wind. 13* this morning but the wind chill is 2*. Not nearly as nice as yesterday morning.

-18* last Friday.
    -11* Monday.

Still well over a foot of snow on the ground. More like 18-24". Haven't seen grass since the first week of December.