1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowing at 4 days-still taking off 50%!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MATTHEW, May 10, 2002.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Hey, I have not applied any nitro to these lawns and they are still putting out some serious growth. Cut monday-cut today. Looks like a weeks worth of growth. No customer complaints... yet. Wait 'til they get the May bill.................ouch!:blob2:
  2. Raven

Raven LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Incredible growth!!! I'm also mowing every four days and still have to double cut or blow. One of the yards I cut today hadn't been cut since last Friday and was 7" high. I cut it down to 4" today and I'm going back tomorrow.
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

LOL, I guess you gave up on your other thread. Read the Primo thread in the fert forum
  4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

He had to put this one in lamans terms.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

I am with you matt.....same situation with me
  6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

We get so tied up in fertilizer, areation, PH and all that other stuff. We forget what that old fashion rain will do. Especially 7 to 10" of rain.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I've really been thinking about this Primo thing. It probably would be better to mow less and save on wear and tear and time. After all, one app of it would take 10 minutes compared to a few hours of extra mowing. The thing is, we are in a grow-&-mow market here. If I were to want the same amount of income per unit with that plan, I would have to charge 3x the reg. app. price. I just can't see how I can justify the cost to the customer. They will say that they would do it IF it SAVED them $$$ in the long run. Washington has an unusual growing problem that we do not have. We will be drying out and slowing down in June/July. They won't. We make our big $$$ now and tone down in the summer. I just don't think Primo is for me. I'm not quite sure mowing is either, now that I think about it!:dizzy:
  8. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

matthew, i think you could justify the price for primo if you went ahead and charged a monthly fee, versus the mowing every four days. (i'm assuming that they are charged per cut.)

then. it would be your decision to purchase and apply the primo, not theirs

weve never used the stuff,but under certain circumstances i believe it would be a good idea. we only have 6 accounts who are mowed every four to five days. the rest are mowed once a week, unless they call ahead and say they want mowed more frequently, or sooner because of a party, etc.
  9. I've had one customer ask for a 4 day schedule.
    Even my complainer guy isn't complaining about the 5 day schedule. I think they're amazed we can keep up with it.

Like you mentioned, the May bill's going to be a shocker.
    But Hey! I've never had any of them send me extra money during a drouth.:D

I'm strictly mow-it-as-it-grows and pay-by-the-cut.

Yeah, I try to do the residentials on friday, but it's not much of a priority, especially in this weather.