Mowing at a dogs home

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by oatka, Dec 12, 2005.

1. oatka

oatka LawnSite Member

so, what do you guys do if you show up to a property and there is a dog, fenced in, where you need to mow?

2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

If there is no one home to put the dog inside, we complete the whole service in the areas that we have access to. If the dog is fenced in the back yard, we do the front yard and sides, and do all we can, but that customer will be charged the whole rate. If you do it in half the time, so be it.
    It may be hard to collect the whole rate without having a signed contract stating that this will happen if part of or all of the property cannot be accessed.
    You are a business owner and your time is everything. Best thing I think to do is to make sure this doesn't happen a second time. Communicate with the client if possible, let them know what happened and come to a solution so you don't have to double trip it to that property and put a squeeze on your scheduling.

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Dogs are included in our initial quote. If there is a dog present at the time of service we complete that service. If the animal is "chained" up or limited in movement we may skip that area. Fence, invisible or not, we will mow as the dog will get out of the way. Key is to talk and be upfront with the customer. I want to know how many, what kind, and if they pick up poo. This should all be discussed at first estimate. JMO

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

only a handful of my clients have dogs, i used to just mow around them, however someone recently suggested bringing a leash to the property this way you can tie them to a tree, fence post, basketball pole, big chair, etc. This is something I will be trying in the spring, most dogs will just get out of the way, but I have a few that charge the mower and i'm afraid one day they won't stop and will be seriously hurt or killed by the blades.

5. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

What about the dog being hungry, and really doesn't want to be chained or leashed to a tree, no disrespect here, but there are some I just wouldn't trust to even try to put on a leash, ie, Rots, Pitts and mean little damn poodles. Best of luck

6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

lol, mean poodles. I'd mow it, but only if the dog is safely restrained to prevent injury to me or it by the mower or its teeth. I've had a few unfriendly encounters before with dogs, and I'm not goin there again.

7. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I bring a leash to my acounts with dogs, then i usally have whoever is working with me bring em into the front while i do the back, never had ne trouble with doing that.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i have only one territorial dog on my route,and I could get that on a leash if I had to, if the dog is too territorial I have and will walk away from a job. Its not worth the time/money to have your leg or arm on the line everytime you go to the site.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

man did I ever learn this the hard way,

I sometimes get customers from the internet, and This lady wanted a 1 time mow. she left the check under the door mat. " I checked b4 I started"

well I forgot to ask and she forgot to tell...."she was at work...."

I didn't think i could run that fast....

I had to call her to go get my mower.....

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

many dogs I deal with, are friendly, but those aggressive ones, I say NO @#$!ing way, and dont even go near those. as I've said before, living with dogs, for my whole life, I've learned alot about em, mainly theres the ones that are friendly and just curious, like my wolf hybrid, and those that see you as a giant chewtoy, like my aunts dog.