Mowing at a house that's for sale?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by violatorjf, May 8, 2007.

1. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

There is a house for sale (I believe maybe was foreclosed on) near my house and the grass is about a foot high in some spots. I called the number of the realtor and a lady answered. I told her the house I was calling about and said the grass is very high, and I wanted to know if they had anyone to cut it, and if they don't then I would offter to do so. She took my name & number and said she'd pass it on to the specific agent dealing with that property. I said OK, thank you.

Have any of you ever made offers in situations like this before? I'm not sure if I went about it the right way, or if this is even an option that these companies consider. Thanks for any comments.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely. Solicit yourself to as many realtors/builders as you can handle. Good Luck!
  3. caslong

caslong LawnSite Member
    from Tn

If it is a vacant house and the owner is out of town, I would give it shot. I have had success with them.

If it is a forecloser, stay away from it. Run like Hell. You will never get paid.
  4. lbostons

lbostons LawnSite Member

If it is bank owned you might be SOL though b/c they do not want to invest any additional funds in the property or take the liability of someone hurting themselves or someone else while mowing the property. There might be a small chance the realtor would take you up on it to make the property look more inviting. Either way let us know. Who knows you might have just found a new niche.
  5. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 homes that I maintain that no one lives in. the contract is is good until the house sells and thats it. the only part that sux is its typically a twice a month mow but its still a lil bit more income.
  6. violatorjf

Okay, thanks for the responses guys.

I'll let you know what I hear. I think there's a good chance though that I just won't receive a call back about it...we'll see.
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

This type of work can be profitable and if it is owned by someone who is trying to sell it aka not the bank and the realtor is the property manager then you will have good success getting paid on time as they add your cost to the closing cost on the house. I do this type of work all the time, go for it.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Collect CASH before any work you do. they forget really quick when the house is sold about paying you.
  9. violatorjf

Thanks for the advice.

I called yesterday at about this time but still haven't received a call about it. He probably won't call. Oh well, I could give some others a shot in the vacinity.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Be very careful about anything "temporary"