Mowing at full speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jul 29, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

How often can you mow at full speed, or even 3/4 speed for that matter? Conditions have to be just right to take advantage of the speed of a ZTR. The lawn has to be fairly smooth, grass can't be too long or wet etc.. I have some rough spots on my lawn that really bounced me around. So, I guess I'm wondering how often you can take full advantage of the speed of a ZTR without losing cut quality.

Thank you,

Joel B.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i know what u saying . but set up rite the ztr can use its higher speed,and leave a good cut.
    eric was a stickler for sharp bldes and thats a big pt of it.

3. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with AWM on that however sometimes you have to slow down but for the most part its wide open.

Steve
    Potomac Lawns Inc.

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I can hardly ever mow wide open. You need a nice smooth lawn. I like it because you have the infinite speed adjustment so I can go really fast in one area and slow down for a bump or something. Went from a wb belt drive to my Z and wow what a difference!

5. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I can regularly mow at 3/4 to full speed. I have a new Lazer EPS which has the suspension seat. I feel the main thing that limits my speed is not the ground but the size of the area I am in. Don't forget to sharpen those blades, I do mine every 8-10 hours.

6. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I just started mowing at full speed (4th gear) this spring, thanks to double blades. Should we get a dry spell and ground becomes bumpy, I'll drop down to 3rd gear. I run a Toro WB 44in. Just last week my transmission started going out on me (7 years old). Lost 4th gear on Thurs morning, then lost 3rd gear on Sat. morning. Tried mowing in 2nd gear but didn't have the patience!!! Felt like a turtle. Ordered a new trans. from J-Thomas on Thurs for $185. Should be sitting on my deck as I'm typing this.

LAWNS AND MOWER

7. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I opt for a better cut than a faster in/out time. I'm not saying that all people who mow fast are not doing good work but from my experience and my grass type the best I hope for is 1/2 speed. I don't like looking back and seeing stringers. I prefer to let the blades work. We sharpen twice a week, we run Lazers 60". Mulching blades. The only time we go full speed is from the end of the last pass to the ramp of the trailer.:cool:

8. lawnbaby

lawnbaby LawnSite Member

With all the new comfy seats they are putting on the mowers it sure makes it a lot easier to run at full speed and not get beat up too much. To my understanding I thought running at full speed was mainly for big wide open areas that are fairly smooth and getting from here to there. Most of my residential lawns are too small to go full speed. I would never trade my mower for a slower model though, I love the speedddddd!!!!:blob2:

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Speed = NOTHING. It doesn't matter how fast you can go...it matters how much money you can keep after you pay all your expenses at the end of the month and what you are left with.

I have 3, 72" Toro Groundsmasters (along with a bunch of WB's, 52's and 61's) that can go around 16 or 17mph (the Toros that is). Big d*** deal...I can't mow with them that fast...I just know what they can produce at the end of the day. And that is all I care about.

Bottom line results is what I am interested in, not how fast my mower can travel...hello

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Don't forget,
    The real bottom line is, speed "is" nothing (true), if you're body won't last through the long haul. Like the Tortoise and the Hair, it's better to work slower and steady and finish the race.
    Pete