Mowing At Night

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dgZtrak737, Aug 14, 2007.

1. dgZtrak737

dgZtrak737 LawnSite Member

I have a full time job ,and 10 residential accounts. I have to work alot of overtime at my full time job. Its a good job, with great benefits and I cant quit it to mow. I was wondering if any of you ever get caught out mowing at night. I know its not recommended, but what kind of lighting equipment should be used? I have a John Deere 737 with no lights. Just wanting some helpfull tips

Drew Gardner
    Gardners Lawn Service
  2. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure you could put some lights on it..... but. Assuming you do mow at night, I would think you would really tick some people off since you have residential lots to mow. Someone may not take to kindly to someone mowing a yard when it's time for them to be in bed.

Another thing to ask yourself, is do you really think your mow job would be as good if done under artificial light as opposed to day light? I can tell you it would not be.

I can appreciate you wanting to make a go of it, but I think you would be making a bad move. Just my .02
  3. GroundForce007

GroundForce007 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

yeah you might piss some people off at you mowing at night
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

5. Rottman

Rottman LawnSite Member

I would not think your own customers would like it. Also, most cities have a noise ordinance for residential areas for night and you could get cited into court for it. Our cities noise ordinance is between 10:00pm and 6:30am. for this type of noise.
  6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Not a good idea in my opinion
  7. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Assuming you do mow at night, I would think you would really tick some people off since you have residential lots to mow.
    And here's one of them now..i'd give you 30mins past 10,for that first attempt at messing with my all to short zzzz'z already.Why would you even contemplate pissing off people like that?
  8. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

A better idea might be to switch to afternoons or night at your current day job if you have that option and do your cutting during day hours. Hey, just my two cents worth..

Eric D
  9. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Our local noise ordance, 8 am to 9 pm. You may want to think about taking a morning off to do the yards and then go to your full time work.
  10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, i should print this for my customers when they ask why i charge the way i do, i can tell them because im not doing this on the side like some and that it will be done on a schedual, at a normal time, it will look good, and they wont have to worry.