1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing- Bag Or Mulch?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Landscape89, Apr 25, 2006.

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

In the spring when the grass is growing fast we bag.Sometimes we double cut and not bag,this is on the small property's.
  2. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

No bag, mulch if possible.
    Double cut everything in spring
    and hit 50 % of them 2X per week until June
  3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

u guys are lucky.... customers here fire you if you dont bag
  4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

JJ Then you need to educate them
  5. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

We rotate bagging and mulching... side disharging is pretty tough on our bermuda grass... only can be done in really large expansive areas... around here if it's just being discharged, it's only on the real junkie lawnsor on no traffic common areas (where poeple don't walk up to it to see it up close). You'd have to quadruple cut a nice residential lawn and spend way too much time compared to mulching. Most of the higher end lawns still want bagging which for us, is a necessary evil. That's where the Walker pays back big time.
  6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

The most popular riding mower seen in this area being used commercially is the Walker, and I'm right in there with the rest of them. So... I'm guessing that 90% of the places out here are "collected".

Be careful in assuming that mulching is always better for turf, because too much too fast can actually smother grass and create problems.
  7. Green Grass and More

Green Grass and More LawnSite Member

I only mulch as it's a lot easier.

CWRSNY LawnSite Member

Like JJ said on long Island your dropped for mulching
  9. SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.

SuperiorLandscapeMgmt. LawnSite Member

Mulch or discharge if possible. Return nutrients to the soil. Save time and money on fuel and employee hourly wages by not having to drive to and sometimes maintain dumpsite with other equip.
  10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Side discharge for me.