mowing, baggin and leafs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MCLC, Sep 27, 2007.

1. MCLC

MCLC LawnSite Member
    from STL

I do not mulch or bag grass, I only discharge.
    I have a customer requesting to start bagging his lawn so the leafs that are starting to fall are picked up. I think that I should charge extra for bagging, but to pick up the leafs, I think that should be a whole different service charge.
    How do you handle this kind of situations?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just close the discharge and mulch them up then if he still wants them bagged ...bag them it only takes a few extra minutes...we charge $5 extra but seldom will a customer pay extra when he see how we mulch them up.

3. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

I just started mulching about a month ago and I have found that with some of the really thick sod we have that it is just as quick to bag-- the real difference is the disposal of the grass. If I had a convenient place to dump then I would still bag the fast growing and thick lawns. I have decided that I will bag during the month of October- usually cut a couple weeks in October.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious how bagging can be faster than going over with mulch kit....one pass should do it?

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Lots of leaves on the ground in my neck of the woods now.

With the 21 I bag and the bag can fill up very fast, I'm getting pissed but my 36" toro does a great job mulching them up even though sometimes the pile up in front like I'm plowing them.

For fall clean up I'm going to mulch then vacuum. I'm hoping this will be efficient.

6. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

when the grass is tall and thick one pass just doesn't do it- it needs double cut to look good. when this happens it is just as quick to bag

7. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

If your plowing leaves while mulching make first pass with deck raised then second pass at finished height

Mulching can take as long as bagging because to make sure all is chopped up fine enough you have to slow down

clean-up and bagging fees..............We charge 20% for bagging i.e. $25 to mow $5 to bag...........
    charge extra for excessive amount of leaves during scheduled mowing -1" or more ...make one pass side discharge start with at least 2 laps around the ouside discharging towards middle of yard with deck set higher than finished cut (don't worry about stripes on this pass) ofter discharge pass is complete then attach grass catcher/bagger set deck at finish height and make second pass

I will actually leave my grass catcher (side deckmount) on my ztr during first pass, but will leave off the plate in back. This turns my side discharge to rear discharge and don't have to worry about putting chewed up leaves in mulched beds or other undesired area's